Thanks to its sheer efficiency and simplicity, Windows XP continues to be a fairly sought after OS of the times even though it lacks the visual brilliance of its successors- Windows Vista and 7. The fact that XP is a favourite for many even today, makes it clear that what users look for are not mind blowing GUIs, but user-friendly and effective computing platforms. However, as users’ experiences point out, XP, in the beginning, couldn’t offer a conducive environment for many programs and apps. Kids were disappointed that they couldn’t play their favourite games, and professionals were frustrated that they couldn’t run many advanced programs.
Well, such incompatibility issues were phased out when Microsoft started to release Service Pack updates for the OS. And in this post, we give you a comprehensive account on how to upgrade your Windows XP operating system from SP1 to SP2.
Upgrade through Automatic Updates
According to the Microsoft support crew, the following steps are in order for upgrading your OS via the Automatic Updates feature in Windows:
- Commence the procedure by closing any running programs and right click on the “My Computer” icon.
- From the subsequent context menu, choose “Properties” and verify which service pack is currently installed on your PC. You needn’t be told that if you already have installed SP2 or SP3, an upgrade is not called for.
- Navigate to the “Start” menu and choose “Run”. Type sysdm.cpl in the textbox and hit the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
- You may now click on the “Automatic Updates” tab and ensure that the parameter “Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them” is checked. Click on “OK”.
Upgrade through Windows Update
- Begin by launching your web browser, and navigating to the Windows Update website.
- Select “Express (Recommended)“, so that the required updates are automatically detected.
- Once the website suggests the list of programs required for your PC, click on “Install”. And when the installation winds up, backtrack to the Windows Update website and choose to install Service Pack 2 for your OS.
- Finally, restart your PC for the upgrade to take effect.
The above account would surely prove helpful in upgrading your Windows XP computer from SP1 to SP2. For any further assistance, do get in touch with Microsoft support.